Miniature DIY Tutorials & Kits
- Smallwood Village: Tips and tutorials for Christmas tree and decorations, oil paintings and picture frames, spiral stairs and simple staircases, ornate ceilings, cushions, no-sew fringe, a working parasol, a footstool, towles, and scent bottles and ornaments.
- Annie's Minis: Instructions to create an evergreen tree from dried caspia, for Christmas or landscaping.
- Life in Miniature: That's right, it's my own blog! Once a month I post a new project tutorial (by miniaturists skilled in such things.) So far you'll find instructions for building your own dollhouse (including a log cabin style), making fireplaces, stone walls, slate rooves, tile floors, and furniture.
- About.com Miniatures: A variety of changing projects & articles, as well as info about building & electrifying a dollhouse.
- Creating Dollhouse Miniatures: Brainchild of Gaye Coonce, collecting all the best online videos of scale miniatures in one place! Tons of tutorials, virtual tours of dollhouses and personal collections, inside looks at artists at work - over 100 videos available so far. A must-see!
- Frances Armstrong Toys in Miniature: 1:144 scale projects - dollhouse for a dollhouse size! Toothpick toys including boats, drums, and dolls; tiny houses; and shops in matchboxes.
- Free Doll House Plans - How to Build A Dollhouse: This large dollhouse could be finished as a castle, apartment building, or shops - the sky is the limit!
- Greenleaf Dollhouse Articles: Numerous projects, articles, and tips. Tutorials for Japanese kimono and kimono chest, landscaping techniques, making an iron fence, and much more.
- Let's Build A Dollhouse: Instructions and plans for building an English style dollhouse.
- Make Simple Texturing Tools From Polymer Clay: Learn to make stamping and molding tools and tool handles for making miniatures.
- Making Stone from Foam: Nancy teaches you how to create a variety of stone types from styrofoam and builders foam. Make your own birdbaths, garden benches, and fabulous brick and slate floorings.
- Mary's Menus Projects: This site is one of my favorites, put together by Mary Eccher. Projects include the easter egg scene, a variety of pies, puddings, drinks and stews. Also instructions for pizza, canning veggies, and a witch's brew!
- MSAT Project Pages: A wealth of project instructions for making and dressing dolls, from painting shoes to making Elizabethan neck ruffs.
- Open Directory: Dollhouse Miniature Projects: Extensive annotated list of project & printie sites. Enough to keep you busy for years!
- Tips & Tricks Index Page: From Hirst Arts Fantasy Architecture, over 60 tips & tricks for building & landscaping. Intended for 25-30mm (1"+) figures, but ideas can be adapted to many scales. Learn how to make doors and stained glass windows, rocky landscapes, dungeon diorams and gothic fountains, and so much more!
- Victoria Miniland Projects: Learn to make stained glass, egg carton stone walls, bonsai plants, a variety of foods including candy apples, and other items. Great resource.
- More needlework projects & patterns... Don't miss even more projects, kits & patterns in the TreeFeathers DIY Needlework section!
Sources for Kits & Supplies
- TreeFeathers Kits
Don't forget to check out the Kits section right here at TreeFeathers! Top-quality kits by miniature artists.
- Michelle's Miniatures: Laser Cut Dollhouse Miniature Kits in four scales (1", ½", ¼", and miniature watch case scale). Dollhouse accessories, dollhouse trunks, leather trunks, miniature shelving kits, wine racks, room box kits, miniature bench kits, dollhouse furniture kits and Christmas kits.
- Buttercup Miniatures: Great kits & patterns for period clothing, accessories & toys. Unique items, many miniature knitting and crochet patterns and supplies. Also many 1:24 (½") scale items.
- KITZ! Miniatures: Tons of cool kitz for just about anything you might want to make! Also a great source for hard-to-find mini craft supplies & tools, and first-rate customer service.
- Laser Bits n' Kits from Cynthia Howe Miniatures: A brand new collection of precision laser cut accessories and kits. Beautiful elaborate picture frames, customizable shop signs, buttons & sewing supplies, wonderful clocks and furniture kits... and all for great prices!
- Lavish Miniatures: Home of the "Bloomin' Easy" flower and plant kits, as well as kits for a variety of furniture, toys, and other accessories. I've made many plants and flower from her kits, and they are great to work with.
- Miniature Luxuries & Papers: Decals to design your own "handpainted" miniature furniture, rooms and accessories. Available in 1" and ½" scales. Also wallpaper, fabric and rugs.
- sdk miniatures: Nice kits for plants, furniture, and structures in several scales. Items may also be purchased completed.
- Victoria Miniland: Very nice furniture kits.
Please help support this site and keep these resources free!
I am thrilled that so many people visit my DIY pages and find them useful! However, the large number of visitors has increased my costs considerably. These resources have always been FREE and I intend to keep them that way. You can help out by making even a small donation - every bit helps!
Click here for more ways you can help!
Since January 1, 2011